Shortcut for chapter specific information

Monday, September 19, 2011

Having some fun with iOS game programming

I was playing with couple of game code a friend gave me.   Small developer but certainly quite innovative and knows what they are doing.   To me, it's quite of refreshing experience.   I don't have any expectation but it makes it even better because you feel you have nothing to lose.

At this point, I am still learning tidbits which I have learned when I was in college.  Say things like sprite format, pixel design, simple event loop programming and effects.  It doesn't come together yet.  Again, it takes a while before you claim you grok something and I am still in the process of learning.

A curious thing I would put here though, game programming is very similar to machine learning.  Why is that? In both of these fields, there are many instances you will need to know a particular trick to get things going.  So being knowledgeable about programming and techniques is a must if you want to even communicate with your peers.

Another similarity is that they are both seemingly small but are deep in terms of their implications.   Both of them can be regarded as new product of human invention since (really) 70s, but we don't really understand them.  We have insights but it doesn't means we have exhausted the possible research problems.

I don't know what this will bring me as I am just trying to get something I can usefully spend my time on.  Oh well, this is probably much better than gaming or pokering. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment