Shortcut for chapter specific information

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Half a year of self-study - what did I learn?

I spent last half a year just to read a single book and finish 2.5 chapters of the exercises.  If I told myself this half a year ago, I would think I am crazy.

Of course, now I think different.   It is a good textbook and I found that reading it taught me many things.  The major change is this - I see algorithm and programming differently.

In the past, I would probably just go to copy an algorithm.  Now most of the time I will think about how to solve a problem first before I do anything.   The thinking time could be as short as 10 seconds or can be as long as 1 - 2 hour.

Should I go on? Absolutely yes.  Learning is always one big grinding process.  It always reward the patience.

In last half a year, I also learn one more thing : it's not just trying to work in a bigger company, it is a matter of whether you getting skills to improve your career.    My honest reason to start doing all sort of data structure learning is because I want to get a better job.   But now, after reading glassdoor though,  that illusion is gone.  It might still be a good thing to get a job in big company but the goal is no longer that it is a better job.   More than likely, it is a worse or a similarly bad job as what you are working on.

But why do I still keep on learning Data Structure?  Here is the answer, it is something that you can use in many facets of computer science.   If you want to start up, you need to have better skill in Data structure.  If you want to go back to academia, you need to have better skill in Data structure as well.   If you want to get promoted in your company, your skill of Data structure will also count.   If you are in a deadend, why not finish your job faster and do something else quickly?

That's the mind set, don't give up, my fellow.   Your job may be a deadend, but your career is most certainly not.

No comments:

Post a Comment