Shortcut for chapter specific information

Friday, May 27, 2011

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance (Part 6)

Read another 10 pages. Now starting Chapter 26.  This is indeed a difficult book to read.

Prisig suggested that one should unify both the subject and the object sides of quality together in a fundamental level.   I don't know how this could be done but I know when this feeling appears to me.

Have you written a merge sort in the past?   In the traditional top-down merge sort.  There are usually three pieces of code: the merge function, the merge_sort function and the driver of the program.

When I look at individual piece, they look fairly ugly before you understand what they do as a whole.

After I finally got it running (,search merge_sort in this blog for my attempts), the feelings are entirely different.   What a marvelous idea!  In fact there is even an easy proof of its performance.

Then I went back to each of the program.  Another feeling kicks in, wow, the program is indeed very smart.   For a typical C implementation, you just need to pass in a piece of working memory.  But the code does the magic.  Unsorted array becomes sorted.   How wonderful.

It is feeling like this keep us programmers working.  Not money, not reputation, not fame.   It is this beautiful feeling to get new things working make us keep on.

I guess we all have this feeling daily.  It just a matter of recognizing it consciously.

No comments:

Post a Comment