Shortcut for chapter specific information

Sunday, May 29, 2011

My recent stuckness.

For the first time, I have come to a point I feel stuck when I try to proceed in CLRS.   In my case, that means the three threads (browse read, exercise read and deep read) I have been working on are not moving.

Naturally, I am thinking about why.  For each read, there are different reasons and I also figure out their solutions. 
  • For my browse read, my understanding of tree, or generally my understanding in discrete mathematics, need to be improved quickly.   Many of the questions require some intuitive understanding of trees.   I will not open the daunting Rosen's Discrete Mathematics and Its Applications.   Because I am fully aware of the damage of studying two text books at the same time.   I will feel too burn out and feeling not learning anything.  What I will do is to study Appendix B of CLRS and perhaps read the whole Chapter 2 of TAOCP.  Then reread, chapter 12 and 13. This should prepare me better on the next reread. 
  • For my exercise read, as I mention before, I am beaten up by the exercises.   My solution is to go to sleep and take some mental break from Algorithms   In fact, I already line up couple of things to do while I am taking the mental break from algorithm.  That includes memorizing 80 Kanjis and also read El Alquimista in Spanish.   Both are within reach and fun to do. 
  • For my deep read, I just need to work on it one item by item.  It is meant to be a deep connecting study to try to combine everything I know.   This is a phase which takes time.   I am just going to take my time and enjoy the process. 
And yes, enjoy!  Enjoy algorithms.  Indeed, there are many material reasons why I want to study programming.  But at the end of the day, it is fun!  It is also something which makes me tick the most in Computer Science.

No comments:

Post a Comment