Shortcut for chapter specific information

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Finally finished all exercises in Chapter 3

Though there are couple of exercises I don't fully get through.  This is a very Math-heavy chapter. So I sort of expect there are couple of exercises will get me.

Math for computer science has an interesting property.  You can learn it to an arbitrary depth.  You can also learn it just a bit to get by.  The engineering aspect of algorithm will make you think you don't need any Math to get by. 

What is a similar situation?  One good one is whether you need to learn all difficult English words to read.   Do you need to learn the word silhouette to read? Do you need to learn the latin origin of every word before you can read? 

Certainly not.  But this knowledge helps subtly.  It helps when you try to look deeper. 

In any case, learning more in the Big Oh perhaps only give me marginal gain.  CMath and TAOCP 1.2.1 are perhaps the books I can read to deepen my knowledge on this part (They are fun books to read anyway).

No comments:

Post a Comment