Shortcut for chapter specific information

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Concrete Mathematics Chapter 2, 3 and 9

After some frustrations of reading CLRS, which occasionally a certain mastery of mathematical technique, I decided to go back to read Concrete Mathematics which is a golden reference book of Math in Computer Science.  I think I am hugely benefited by the process of just reading it through.  In the past, I barely register with the material found in Chapter 2.  Now, I just feel how much I care about the material. 

I also feel that time wasn't wasted even though some material is still strange to me.  In general, I feel that I have more and more understanding of the finer Math of computer science.   The other good thing is that since I am self-learning, I seem to grasp more than what most normal students learn. 

All of these, in a way is more important than statistics and the specific algorithms I learn in my field.   One method here seems to be applicable to more than 1 problems.  Again, this is the feeling of getting acquiring something in a cheap way and efficiently. 

Like TAOCP, I will not study CMath until I finished the whole CLRS but constantly reading the whole chapter seems to give me a lot of understanding.  Some of them helps my work.  Some of them help me to get through a lot of things I don't understand.  For example, I am long for deriving the closed form solution of Bell's number as well as a lot of sum which perplexed me.  I think it's a good chance to play with them with all my new found knowledge in summation. (Is it mine yet? Not really.  But I will practice it when I study Appendix A).

No comments:

Post a Comment