Shortcut for chapter specific information

Thursday, June 9, 2011

After Chapter 3

Chapter 3 and Chapter 4 are closely related.  So it is a no brainer to start Chapter 4 right after Chapter 3.  In fact, to keep up the momentum, I might just finish one exercise tonight to make sure I move on.  There are indeed many funny things to learn.

One afterthought on Chapter 3.  Chapter 3 impresses me in two ways: one is the amount of Math need in algorithm.  The other is what kind of Math is really useful.   The most important type of Math required in Computer Science is Discrete Mathematics.   It is certain that deep knowledge of Probability, Statistics and Combinatorics certainly help.  But they are not as crucial as understanding the underlying structure of a program (and deeper the argument which leads to a new program).  My deepening routine (Read 3) on this part would be to read CMath 2, 3 and 9 and TAOCP 1.2 deeply.  I feel like this can be done any time I like even when I am not seriously reading those two books.   It is just a relaxing thing to do when you want a problem to solve at night.

I expect I should be able to cruise through Chapter 4 as quick as Chapter 3. But I expect a lot of resistance in Chapter 5.   Probabilistic reasoning is never something easy to grasp.

No comments:

Post a Comment